Saturday, July 23, 2011

Critter Park

Interesting that yesterday I mentioned seeing creatures . . .

Last night I was sitting on the front steps, listening to the last of the fireworks from the ball park, drinking a Kentucky Ale, and considering my front yard garden and the best way to enlarge it for next year. Very content.

I heard a rustling and around the corner came a small animal, which I thought would be a squirrel or maybe a possum. Turned out that it was a young skunk, which I barely got a look at because I was out of there. My neighbor across the street saw it also, as it took off running. He said he's been a hunter for years but had never spotted a skunk before.

We have a lot of deer in the neighborhood, at least we did last year, but a skunk? I live in the city, there's a great skyline view a block over. Only thing I can figure is, there's a city park a block away, pretty much unused, just green space. Even the playground equipment, such as it was, has been taken out and the ball field isn't used. I can picture critters having a home there and venturing out at night, especially the young ones who want to see what the rest of the world looks like.

2 comments:

Carrye said...

Maybe skunks love Northern Kentucky. Here in my condo community we have skunks...no squirrels, no rabbits. Last summer while walking my dog at dusk, I saw an animal by one of the garages. First thought it was a cat...right size...but soon discovered it was a skunk...started to steer my dog across the street so he didn't startle the skunk and, well, you know what could have happened. But before we crossed the street, I saw a smaller version of the first skunk...half the size follow the adult, then another and then another....until 5 of them followed the mom...each about 6 feet apart in single file. Others in the area have seen the skunks also

Anonymous said...

I saw a skunk one time close to the Arboretum. It had reverse coloring...white with a black stripe. I was happy to finally see one.
Sarah