Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Aunts

Thanks to my sister for sending me this photo of our aunts, our dad's sisters. Fan on the left and Nina on the right.

They've been on my mind lately. I've been wondering whether my sister and I favor our dad's side of the family because we don't resemble our mother's side. And the answer is, probably, not definitely.

I can remember Nina's neighbor referring to Fan as a bird because of her slightness, much like my sister's. I'm built more like Nina.

I used to enjoy Nina's dining room, where she sewed and sewed. I think I remember her having one of the old Viking sewing machines, but I could have made that up since I love Vikings. There was always something in progress, always some pretty fabric around. And tools, she had sewing tools that I loved.

She had another job, worked at Crow's Variety Store for many years, but I remember her spending her time sewing. She must have had lots of energy - her house was always clean and pretty.

In later years she lived in a little house, and she still sewed and sewed. Mostly doll clothes, exquisite lacy creations.

I know less about Fan. She lived in Lima and her house was a fun place for family dinners. I can remember my mother and the aunts in her kitchen, making the meal and laughing. She had a closed-in front porch that I thought was so inviting. She was probably a little more quiet than the other aunts, but I can appreciate that.

Thanks to my sister for this photo, taken at my sister's wedding in 1985. I imagine that the aunts were in their early 70's. Not sure who was older. My sister will know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Connie, this is precious ! I believe I see some resemblances to you & your family. My guess, just on this pic;is that Fan - left would be the older of the two !
Are there more sisters ?
Janice

Anonymous said...

Also, I forgot to say, they are both lovely !
Janice