Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day

Completed little outfit for Nora, purchased top and pants with embroidery

This is the second Blog Action Day, and this year the subject for bloggers to write about is poverty. I've been thinking about that all evening. Thinking about it as I work with projects that are inexpensive and a sewing/embroidery machine which is not. Thinking about it through the debates, with the candidates outlining expensive plans for education and health care.

Thinking about it as I looked up last Sunday's sermon, where Pastor Joel urged the congregation to resist the temptation to depersonalize poverty but to remember the individuals and the situations. Thinking about how I have a house of my own which is huge by most of the world's standards.

I have no eloquent words to write. Just an invitation to readers to think, to ponder, to not take their riches for granted. To live simply, whatever that means to you. To be rich in spirit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

indeed.

for my part, i turn to sites like freerice (rice donation), kiva (microfinance), and goodsearch (donation per search), as ways to help alleviate poverty online. i also put up their banners on my blog. :)

saw this post via the blog action day site. it's great that you're participating. :)