Friday, February 22, 2019

Another Christmas Quilt


Another Christmas quilt finished, this one is bigger, 30" x 38", made with a center panel and coordinated piecing for the border.  It had been a long time since I had done much free motion so I just stippled the panel, trying to get back in the groove.

I got the panel and fabrics from a friend who had a fabric business.  She has a similar quilt hanging in her entry way during the holidays, only hers has a gray palette instead of green.  Whenever I see her quilt, I wish mine were finished.  And now, it is.

I had my wellness visit at the doctor yesterday, so I stopped on the way home at the main Graeter's bakery for a blackberry chocolate chip donut.  The flavor and chocolate chips are in the icing, not the actual donut.  I go by the bakery on my way home and stopping there is my treat for taking myself to the doctor.  I don't actually eat the entire donut, I just enjoy the treat.  I always hope that the soup of the day will be meat free, but that didn't happen yesterday - chili and chicken and rice.  

When I was growing up, doctor visits were rare.  Does anyone remember those little envelopes that the nurse would fill with the appropriate pills?  The crowded waiting room, walk-ins only?  And the seriousness of a home visit?  My sister had pneumonia a few times when she was little and the doctor came to the house.

And then, the canned orange juice for taking the pills, something that was only purchased during sickness.  I tried a mouthfull a few years ago for some reason - it tasted just the same and to me it tasted like sulfa pills.

  

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

I don't recall visits to the doctor as a child. I do remember the doctor coming to the house when I was entering my freshman year in high school and giving me shots-- I had a strep infection they worried would become scarlet fever I missed the entire first month of school. Who gets that now? I got strep infections two or three times a year at OU. I was always sick while in college. And always sprained ankles. so clumsy.

The only part of my wellness visit is getting weighed. My doctor has a "phobia" regarding anyone who is not stick thin.