Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Cotton Kind of Person



I'm a cotton kind of person.  I like the crispness, the ability to press a sharp crease, the precision that can come with cotton.  

For the past weeks, though, I've been working a lot with satin and tulle.  Hemming.  Altering.  This is a one-time thing for me, this appreciation of different fabrics.  One particular wedding.  If you were to ask me to do another another, I'd nicely say "no."

I'm eager to get back to cotton, along with some smaller sewing jobs.  I'm eager to get back to planning those baby quilts in my head and watching them come into being.

It's been fun to do a pretty rolled hem on a soft satin, to watch a dress that totally didn't fit to now zip up just right.  To admire all those layers of tulle.  To appreciate Gutterman's specialty serger thread that's a dream on fussy fabrics.  But how wonderful to go to the fabric store and choose 1 1/2 yards of a well-behaved cotton for a backing and binding.  That's what makes me smile. 

No comments: