Friday, October 2, 2015

Last Home Game


One of my goals this year was to go to more Reds games (check) and another was to go to the last home game (check, yesterday.)

Last year's last home game was so awesome.  The sun was shining, the stadium was crowded, and in the bottom of the 8th inning the pitcher Johnny Cueto got a hit and an RBI.  In the 9th Aroldis Chapman pitched the save and Cueto got his 20th win for the season.  The crowd was happy and greeted the Reds ushers after the game, saying "See you next year."

This year was different.  It was rainy, the crowd was sparse and it seemed as if half the crowd was Cubs fans.  Chapman hasn't pitched in a long time because there has been nothing to save.  Cueto has been traded.  A rookie pitcher started again for about the 100th time this season.  

I had my favorite spot, a few rows up in the upper deck behind home plate.  After a little while I moved way up under the roof to stay dry.  There was plenty of room there.

But still, it was a good day.  I moved back down in the 7th inning and dried off my seat and didn't feel too bad about the loss.  Joey Votto got on base and if he does the same at the next away game he will tie Pete Rose's club record for getting on base in consecutive games.   I greeted a few people after the game and got two energy bars on the way out, passed out by Reds personnel who said that next year will be better.

One of the ushers looked as if he was around 80.  When I said, "See you next year," he replied "Oh, I'll be here."  I like that.

After a chilly night, I gave up and turned on the heat for the next day or so.  Today I'll put on the flannel sheets and tonight will be warmer.


No comments: