Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pink Baby Quilt


The current theme for our baby quilt group is pieced strips with a bit of applique.  One of the members is appliquing cats, another hearts, but I chose circles.  The strips are supposed to be vertical, but I sewed mine together in jelly roll race fashion without any advance planning and ended up with the horizontal orientation.  The quilt also ended up too skinny, so I trimmed some off the bottom and added sashings at the sides.

I pulled pinks from my stash and cut them in 2 1/4" strips.  Some started as yardage and their strips were the width of the fabric.  Some were leftover pieces or fat quarters and their strips were shorter.  The back is a combination of four fabrics, and the binding is pieced.

One nice part is that my pile of pink fabrics is now shorter since I didn't buy any fabrics for this quilt.  I talked briefly earlier this year about using what I have in my stash, not really too serious about it, but maybe I should make it a goal.  Not to only use fabrics I have, but to end up the year with less fabric than I started out with.  I can do that.

No comments: