Friday, November 11, 2011

Quilt As Desired

About seven years ago, I took an online piecing class. The finished project was a Christmas tree made from lots of little blocks. Very nice, and I learned what I was supposed to, but I got to the end, "quilt as desired," and I was stuck. There was so much white surrounding the tree and I just didn't know how to quilt it. I still don't, actually. Into the box it went.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. I found the tree in the box once again and decided to go with my usual mode: when I don't know what to do, I cut. I cut from the top and bottom, then sliced again, and had the beginnings of some nice gift-y Christmas potholders.

Then someone suggested that I use the middle section as a table runner. She said, rightly so, that it still said "tree" without the whole tree being there. She was so right - I love the new table runner. Merry Christmas to me.



2 comments:

Vicki W said...

That was a brilliant solution! I love the table runner. It's very effective as a window view of part of the tree.

Anonymous said...

Very nice.
Sarah