Sunday, November 27, 2011

Advent Banner

At my Mennonite church, suggestions for Advent visuals are published in The Leader:

This season's theme, "Awesome Deeds We Do Not Expect" invites us to find concrete ways of welcoming the unexpected. The theme for the season is visually represented by the flower growing through the crack in the concrete. Something beautiful and awesome (flower) emerges unexpectedly in a very ordinary way (growth) and yet in an uncommon place (crack in the concrete.) In the same way, the beauty of Advent breaks through unexpectedly through the common "concrete" of our ordinary lives to represent the awesome beauty of hope in the birth of Christ.

When I worked with this, I chose a pine sapling instead of a flower since it's the Christmas season.

I did minimal quilting on this, since it is viewed at a distance, but . . . I think that when it comes back to me, it will get quite a bit more quilting.







No comments: