Monday, April 14, 2008

Tax Forms Are Gone

Today's postcard

I'm feeling good - my taxes went off in the mail today. The semi-circle of tax-related papers on my office floor is picked up and out of sight and walking to the desk is no longer a challenge. Maybe now I can be more creative.

No pictures of the post office, since it's 60's institutional ugly - we'll just look in front instead. There is a second post office in Newport, very old and charming, but it's only open in the mornings and I wasn't ready in time. I'll show you a picture of that one of these days.

When I was growing up in Bluffton, Ohio, I loved to go to the post office and admire the huge mural that took up one entire wall. I can't remember what it looked like, but a quick internet search tells me that it is "Joseph Deford and His Friends Building the First Cabin in Bluffton" by Satee Graziani, oil on canvas, 1941. That article says that most post office art works were not WPA funded but were commissioned under the Treasury Department's Section of Painting and Sculpture. History for the day.





No comments: