Friday, April 25, 2008

Shibori Dyeing

Today's postcard

I did some homework for my shibori dyeing class today - on silk velvet (I'm not a fan of the results, but I think it came out like it was supposed to)

and cotton. It was great fun, and also the first dyeing I've done since fall. Dyeing is a warm weather sport, at least in my basement, since it doesn't work well in cool temperatures.

I was so concentrating on the technique that I forgot to add the soda ash. Oops. I made up a cup of water with soda ash and "painted" it on the fabric and I think that things worked out ok.

There was dye left over so I used it on cotton - I was glad some cotton was washed and ready to go. I put the cotton in containers, added the dye, and poured the soda ash solution over it after a few minutes. I really like the results.

Since I was just making use of the dye that was mixed, I didn't do any measurements and have no way of replicating these, so I'll just enjoy the pieces I have.










1 comment:

Jane said...

These came out great!!! Very batiky... if there is such a word.