Friday, January 13, 2017

Those Little Pieces


I have way too many little pieces of fabric on my shelves.  It didn't start out that way, probably the smallest were fat quarters, but I've snipped away at my fabrics and added others left over from projects.  There is just no way to neaten them, and I always seem to need larger pieces anyway.  So, one of my goals for the year is to get rid of those smaller pieces.

To keep them looking consistent, I'm making disappearing four-patch blocks with white Kona and those little pieces.  I'm using four five-inch blocks as starters.  You can find a tutorial here.  My goal is to make five blocks every week, very doable since they take very little time.  My finished blocks trim up at about 7 1/2" square - my seams are a little bigger than 1/4".

Most of the blocks will probably end up in baby quilts, I have no desire to make a big quilt with them.

And then there are those long pieces often left over from bindings.  I'll just start randomly sewing those together, jelly roll fashion, 2 1/4" wide since that's how wide I cut my bindings.

I'm still working on my goals for the year - it's only January 13 - but this one's in progress.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

Hey, this is something I CAN DO!!!

I have your fabric selected but now am trying to find a box.
Hoping I might find one at work. I stop in to say hi and
drop off a bag of garbage for the company dumpster (shhh!)

I can use my Christmas Charm pack. (smile)