Thursday, November 20, 2008

Up on Top

I didn't hang my church quilt last weekend, decided to let what's there stay for one more week and finish this one during the week. Turns out that even that is a challenge - I'm doing machine quilting and thought it would go quickly, but it isn't. I'm using an invisible thread in the needle and a red rayon in the bobbin along with a quilt stitch on the machine that makes it look, a little, like hand quilting. I'm using a walking foot and can't imagine being able to do this without it. No matter how far I get, the binding goes on Saturday night.

I always like to go to Carew Tower when I'm downtown. It's very art deco and fun to look at, but this trip I wanted to go to the observation tower before it got too cold. There's a speedy wood-paneled elevator that goes up the first 45 floors, then a tiny elevator for the next 3, and gray steel steps for the last floor.

I took this picture of the mail drop on the 45th floor. I wonder whether it's still in use. I'm reflected in the glass.

On that semi-cold day, I was the only one who paid my $2 and went out of the deck at 2 p.m. If you look straight up from the left side of the black circle on top of the building in front, you'll be just about at the location of my house.

A peek over the edge is always fun.

The last picture is looking off toward the southwest. You can get a good idea of how curvy the Ohio River is in this area and why the tow-boat operators find it challenging. It's hard to turn one of those long barges.

On my way out, I took a quick look for signs of Santa's coming but didn't see any. When Nora was 1, Helen suggested that Steph take Nora to the Carew Tower Santa since the same Santa comes every year. And sure enough, her Santa pictures have the same Santa every time - how great is that? Last year's picture shows Aaron sitting on Santa's lap with Nora sitting at his feet - she was very clear that she didn't want to sit on his lap. Wonder what will happen this year.



1 comment:

Jane said...

Ewhhh.. A peek over the edge would not be something I would be very likely to do! Always love your posts, so interesting and that quilt your working on... I love it ! The colors are great... can't wait to see when done, Connie