Thursday, June 19, 2008

Take It Further Challenge for June

Today's postcard



June's Take It Further challenge is "stories that are and stories that are possible." In introducing the challenge, Sharon B talked about fabric stashes and the wealth they represent and about how things can be made into something new and take on a new meaning.


In making my challenge piece, I used a piece of fabric that I had made in a batiking class. The wax outlines were drawn on muslin and filled in with dye that was painted on. It was a fun process, but even though I liked my result it was clearly beginner work and needed a make-over.



For the challenge, I cut my fabric into strips and ironed them side-by-side to fusible interfacing, placing every second strip a couple of inches lower than the top. After squaring the result, I used a three-stitch zig zag on the edges of the strips. I once again cut the piece, in the opposite direction this time, and ironed those strips to fusible batting, again placing every other strip a couple of inches lower than the top. Squaring the piece and zig zagging the strips together finished the "piecing."

My batik went from the flat piece it was to the finished quilt that was possible.

Here's the close-up. The finished quilt is approximately 12" x 12".









1 comment:

Tanguera said...

Cool idea. I like the result.