Friday, October 19, 2007

Convergence

A few months ago, I bought Ricky Tims' book Convergence Quilts. It has lots of great pictures that caught my eye because of the use of hand dyed fabrics in bright colors and the cool ways they went together.Although I didn't have all hand dyes, I decided to give it a try yesterday with what I had and with one commercial fabric in the mix. This first time I really couldn't visualize how the colors would work together anyway. I especially wasn't crazy about the "tie-dye" piece but I wanted to see how it would work.

This quilt starts with four fabrics that are joined two at a time, cut into strips and joined.

Then the pieces are rotated a quarter of a turn, cut, and joined again.


The surprising thing is how quickly a 20" quilt with 144 pieces goes together. This has great possibilities for backgrounds. A first glance I wasn't crazy with this result, and yet . . . hmmm.

I've been thinking for months about a cuddle quilt for Aaron that wasn't too "baby" and no pink allowed and I hadn't been able to come up with anything I liked. Not even close. All of a sudden, could it be that easy? Comments, anyone?

1 comment:

JessWildfire said...

It all works together somehow, Connie. Like many of your others, this one has lots of depth and texture and multiple interpretations. For example, when I first looked at it, I saw (in the centerpiece) the tie-dyed portion as a kite amidst a blue sky with the gold/yellow sun filtering in. Everytime I look at it, I see something different. Beautimous....