Saturday, October 6, 2007

Chemistry and Botany

I started a Quilt University class today. Quilt University classes are online classes, with exchange of photos of work done (or not) and a discussion area to ask questions and hear what others are doing. I'm a fan because I can work at my own pace during the class and because of the variety of classes. Also, the classes are really reasonable.

This class requires a gradation of fabrics, which for me meant - yeah! - dying. There was a time when I first started to dye that I didn't use my dyed fabrics for anything because they were so pretty. I'm so over that and don't even mind using them for homework.

Looking at the glob of fabrics in the plastic bag I was using, I was sure that (1) the fabrics would be too dark, and (2) there would be no gradation, since most pieces looked about the same. I should have remembered that it's chemistry, not magic, and things turned out as they should.


See, my Eco friends, I do have a drying rack.

While things were soaking, I went to Fort Thomas Florist to get some fall plants. It's way late for that, but it's been too dry to consider planting anything. I'm not sure that there's rain in the forcast even now.

I love pansies. There must be a life lesson in them somewhere since those delicate looking flowers brighten the fall, then survive the winter and come back in the spring.

For the past few years, I've looked hopefully for flowering kale without success, but there were rows of pots of it here.


There they are, in my truck. Someone even helped me carry them out. I've noticed that happens more often here. Either people are more into customer service or I'm getting frail-looking quickly. I'll vote for the first.





No comments: