Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Going Backward

Sometimes when I don't know quite how to go forward, I look in my unfinished objects stash and go backward. These three heart blocks have been on my sewing table for at least a year, having been dug out of a box where they'd lived for many years before that. I don't know what I'd planned with them - potholders, maybe, since they had backing on them and one of them had a little quilting. Paper pieced, and I haven't done that for a long time.

To make it work, I sewed the blocks together wrong sides together and put the sashing over the seams. Pretty precise, and I'm thinking - yesterday at Hancock I got some red fabric stray paint for 80% off, left from Christmas. I could mask off the red areas and spray the white - maybe.

At any rate, this helps with my last year's goal, to decorate a little for the seasons. I have an after-Christmas sale red tablecloth to help out too, and a pretty glass heart on my desk. I can't find my list of last year's goals, but I do remember this one.

To give you an idea of how my mind words in January - this is the 18th, 28 days past the winter solstice. The last time we had this much daylight was around Thanksgiving. That "bowl" of darkness, the two months when the days are the shortest, is almost past.

No comments: