Sunday, November 21, 2010

Things Can't Always Be the Same

I was thinking today about my maternal grandmother, Grandma Luginbuhl. She was blond, blue-eyed, and short, very different from the Habegger relations. Sometimes she'd comment that the Habegger's were so dark. True. Both sides of the family were Swiss, and Switzerland isn't a large country, but there were different genes for sure.

Sometimes I wonder what she would have thought of my daughters, who are tall and dark-eyed. I'm sure she'd have loved them greatly, but she would have been awed by their height and not surprised by their dark brown eyes. They don't fit in the "so dark" category, though.

But, I digress. The reason I was thinking of her as I drove down the hill to the grocery store in the early morning was because from time to time she'd say, "Things can't always be the same."

Today was the church Thanksgiving dinner and I signed up to bring rolls and pumpkin pie. Easy enough, but Friday and Saturday were busy days at work and I had no energy last night to bake. In other years I'd probably have baked anyway, energy or no. But this year I decided that Buskin makes wonderful pumpkin pie and everyone loves King's Hawaiian rolls, so why not just go with those. I love handmade anything, but, "Things can't always be the same."

No comments: