Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sewing

It's been a long time since I've actually sewn anything, well, a garment, anyway, but Nora's birthday is coming and I wanted to make her a skirt. Not just any skirt, but one with tulle peeking out.

Back in the days of the back-to-school shopping, Nora wanted a skirt like that but her mother wisely decided that the tulle really wasn't practical to stand up to playground equipment and general play of a kindergarden-er. But, being Gran B, I tucked aside that desire of her heart, knowing that her birthday was approaching and knowing that grandmothers have special license when it comes to practicality. Besides, I got extra tulle and if accidents happen it will be easy to just do a quick replacement.

My hope is that I'll have the skirt far enough along tomorrow for a quick try-on since it's fitted around the top. The skirt won't be a surprise, but the tulle will be.


Last year Aunt Sharon gifted me with a lovely linen table cloth, hand embroidered (gasp!) I loved it and thought right away that this could be the tree skirt I've been wanting. And, a quick serge up the back has turned it into one. Aunt Sharon, I hope you're not dismayed - I really love it. Thanks for such a wonderful gift.

No comments: