Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mt LeConte

This post is made possible by my friend Helen who couldn't go to Mt. LeConte this year. Neither could her sister, which made it possible for Sarah and me to join Steph and Bridget and our camping friends.

# 1. I've wanted to hike to Mt. LeConte for ages (hiking is the only way to get there, there are no roads.) It is the third highest mountain in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and there are meals and overnight accomodations.

# 2. I wanted an adventure when I turned 65 this year and was feeling disappointed with myself for not making that happen.

# 3. Reservations were made last October. But now, Helen has a new job and couldn't get off work and her sister decided to go to Ireland instead. And that's how Sarah and I joined the group.

The climb up is 4.9 miles and the trail is rated strenuous for good reason. It took us 5 hours to hike up, primarily because I was the slowest. It's hard to see this sign, but it says that we are just 0.1 miles away. That's why everyone wanted a picture. The last 0.1 mile is blessedly flat.
One of the little cabins is in the background, but the point of this picture is the tree with the red berries.

I'm pretty sure that everyone gets their picture taken here because of the date on the dining hall.
When the dinner bell rang at 6, everyone hurried down. There is no electricity, so the dining hall is lit by kerosene lamps. Fresh food is brought in by llamas and there is a hellicopter drop of supplies and propane early in the season. Dinner was really memorable - soup and a peach half, cornbread, roast beef (with wonderful individual veggie meatloaves for non-meat eaters,) mashed potatoes, green beans, fried apples, chocolate chip cookies. And wine.

There were just a few sprinkles on the trail, but it rained during dinner. There was also a hard rain during the night but none on the hike back.

The little cabins had full-size bunk beds plus a twin bed. And a kerosene lamp and a kerosene heater.

It was truly an awesome and amazing experience. It will take me quite awhile to process everything. I took very few pictures on the hike up, primarily because I was paying attention to the trail. There will be some of the hike down, however.

No comments: