Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Banner

From my office floor and studio area late last night,

the banner made it to church this morning.

My promise to myself: to not be working late into Saturday night next time.

The pieced section was from a quilt I made probably six years ago, following the directions in a magazine. When it was finished I tried to free-motion quilt it and it was a disaster. I didn't really know how to do it, didn't secure it well enough, and used a fluffy batting. I put it into a bag and except for when I moved didn't see it again. I dragged it out a couple of months ago, picked out the quilting, and knew I wanted to incorporate it much like you see here. I tried to make the separating strips curved and that didn't work but I realized I got the same effect by not keeping the letters straight.

Then there were the letters - I didn't know how to do them until I actually did them. And there was that voice in my head again.

Once its life as a banner is finished, I'll put on a backing and free-motion quilt it, then bind it. Its quilting now is just some stitch in the ditch and the lettering. I think I like the idea of putting on the top, doing a little stitch-in-the-ditch, then putting on the backing. Working with just the top or just the back takes out some of the mistake-making potential.

Rookwood Commons for lunch -

a nice, cool patio and good company.





No comments: