Thursday, November 29, 2007

Pretty Amazing

For my non-sewing friends, a serger is a sewing machine that in one swoop trims the seams and sews over the edge of the fabric. Turn your slacks inside out and you'll see what I mean. Instead of a bobbin, it has multiple thread cones. I kind of doubt that there will ever be one in my life - imagine that, a sewing machine I don't lust after.

On one of my walks, I decided to go into a store I hadn't visited before, one that had the words "sewing center" on the sign but had a row of vacuums in front. I'd never considered popping inside for just that reason.

There were no bolts of fabrics, but they do have a small but nice selection of thread and are a dealer for Pfaff sewing machines. There was someone demonstrating the newest model. It had three lights and shown like a beacon. I don't know what else it had because the session was full, but just the lighting was pretty amazing.

But back to the serger - they had the original model of the Baby Lock serger, shown at the top. I wish I'd asked what year it was manufactured, but I didn't. Pretty amazing. They also had the newest model that uses eight cones.

And two more small but pretty amazing things. I've been getting the carpet of leaves out of my yard and hopefully piling them beside the sidewalk, noting that other neighbors were doing the same. And, this morning, a big truck with a vacuuming device came and took them away, as well as the growing stack across the street where I usually park my truck. A small thing, but I really appreciated it.

And isn't it amazing that Christmas trees in people's homes are always pretty? Never the same, different shapes and sizes, live or not, they are always pretty. One thing I always enjoy about the holidays is admiring friends' trees.





No comments: