Thursday, November 15, 2007

Church on Sixth Street

On an evening walk earlier in the fall, I spotted this church on Sixth Street in Newport. It was late dusk so I couldn't take pictures and promised myself I'd return later.

What caught my attention was the "for sale" sign on this once beautiful and still gracious church. It has stained glass and a lovely design and what now needs renovation was surely once glorious. I think it's in the historic district.

Especially at this time of year, the lettering over the door seems joyous.


At this angle, it's hard to read the sign below. It says "GRACE M.E. Church 1866." Think about that. Just after the Civil War, the people who came to this church came on foot or in buggies drawn by horses. Think of the quiet, even in a busy river town. It would be another 86 years before my house and others in my neighborhood would be built. I hope some congregation finds a home in this church.

When I was taking pictures, a white truck pulled up and a man asked if I was taking pictures for a collage. I said yes and we talked a little bit about the church and its structure. He started to leave, then said, "You're not taking pictures for that tv station that I've heard wants to put this on the news, are you?" I assured him that I wasn't and he left. And when I turned on the news a couple of hours later, there was a story about the church being for sale and showing pictures just about like the ones above. I guess my credibility is shot with that man, but I'll probably never see him again.
This morning Nora was on Fox News in the Morning with some other children modeling holiday clothes. Helen works at the station, so that's how this came about. We weren't sure she'd actually do it, but she was ever so cute in a black velvet dress with matching beret. I don't have a picture, so you'll have to take my word for it.
I got to babysit Aaron during show time. That little one has turned into a happy baby, especially in the morning, and he was full of smiles and coos.








No comments: