Sunday, August 11, 2024

Seasoning

 


It's still hot but the evening temperatures are cooler and I want to season my neglected cast iron Dutch oven and corn stick mold.  For several evenings I'll do that, clean and dry, rub shortening inside and outside, put in 350 degree oven upside down for an hour, with foil to catch any drips.

I'm dreaming of artisan bread and corn bread sticks.  Soup maybe, but not for sure, I have another pot for soup.  It's all about the bread.

With the cooler temperatures there wasn't as much watering tonight and I walked up the long hill the next street over.  A few weeks ago an older man (that means my age) was outside watering his impatiens when I walked by and he said, "Just don't walk up the long hill."  And that was the challenge.  I've walked it several times since.

That doesn't mean I might not stop a time or two on my way, but I don't care.  I have memories of rehab when walking around my room twice was all I could do.

No comments: