Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Little Bird Tree



Christmas approaches.  Nora's birthday is next week.  Time goes on too quickly to suit me.

The little white tree is turning pale yellow and this year lots of little plastic needles fell off.  Half the lights didn't light and I had to cut them off.  I've decided that pre-lit trees are a bad idea, unless you go in with the mindset of a few years, over and out.  And that seems just too wasteful to me.

I pictured shoving that little tree into the trash can, but went on, and now the tree looks lovely.  I have it in my office and use it as light early in the morning as the sky lights up.  It's a gentle reminder of my mother, who loved bird ornaments with their soft tails.

My mother died on a December 19 and my dad on a December 18, not the same year.  My husband died on December 8.  There were years when I sort of dreaded to see December roll around.  Many years later, though, I enjoy thinking of them throughout the holiday season.  I love how the spirit heals and adjusts.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

My Goodness.

Nora's birthday brings joy into the calendar of days now.
I often think of my grandmother at holidays and celebrations.
She loved to cook and bake and always had an abundance of good things on any holiday table--even the ones she didn't understand. Even sent a box of special fried cookies to me at camp.

There is a shiny golden aluminum tree at work. small and wired with white lights. $129.00
I was thinking along the lines of your experience--- no way to replace the lights.
But a small string of new lights could be added to your tree to keep the lights shining in your work space.

As I told my friend today--when someone had commented that she had used the wrong evergreens on her homemade wreath--- there is no "right or wrong" in making something. She usually uses what she finds on her land or on walks. As it should be. Natural.