Thursday, February 6, 2014

Underground Railroad Freedom Center


Thanks to Hal, for letting me join a tour he was doing this afternoon for one of the Mennonite Arts Weekend presenters.  The tour was at the Underground Railroad Freedom Center, where Hal is a docent.  I would never have had such a great experience on my own.


These two quilts are part of their permanent exhibits.  I didn't get the name of the Ohio artist but learned that it took her several decades to complete the pair, which she then donated to the Freedeom Center. 


This quilt, by Helen Murrell, is part of a special exhibit of 85 quilts by African-American quiltmakers, "And Still We Rise." The exhibit will stay until the last week in March, and luckily for me, I learned that the Freedom Center is now part of the Cincinnati Museum Centers and my pass will get me into both places.

Of course, the museum is not really about quilts but about history of slavery in America.  The top picture shows a look from the museum over the Ohio River into Kentucky, a slave state.  I saw a slave pen from near Maysville, KY, and a movie about the John Rankin House in Ripley, OH, which I've visited.  This is a creatively-designed museum, well worth a visit for adults.  I'm not sure what age is appropriate for children. 

1 comment:

Jenni Pugh said...

I think I've been there! The quilt is amazing.