Monday, March 4, 2013

Fine Line Piecing


After practicing all that free motion, it's a nice change to do some fine line piecing, following Kathy Loomis' instructions. I'll actually be making something with this, hopefully more than one something since it's fun for me to make a piece like this a little larger than I'll need so there will be some leftovers.  Sort of like cooking.

The theme I'm working toward is "Union," this month's challenge word for my art quilt group.  I guess I could stop here and call it finished, since there's lots of union of lines going on.  I have something else in mind, though.

It's been a little while since I've made something like this, something that's not a baby quilt or alterations or some little practical pretty.  I feel rusty, definitely out of shape.

For my Viking friends, the 1/4" piecing foot that comes with some of the machines is nicer for the 1/8" seams than the 1/4" foot with the guide.  I've only recently added the foot with the guide to my collection, and I wonder why I waited so long.  For this fine line piecing, though, the original works better. 

No comments: