Friday, March 22, 2013

Dragonfly and Micro Stippling


Finally, after a couple of days at work, several getting the kids to school, some early-morning church volunteering, and finishing some sewing jobs, I'm quilting in my pajamas this morning.  I've been wanting to free motion this little dragonfly from my Craftsy Beyond Machine Quilting class. 

He has a few little bobbles, for example the second-to-the-last circle isn't as small as it should be.  One thing I'm learning, though, is that in free motion to just let it go, not try to rip out stithces unless something is REALLY awful, and in fact, from a little distance away, he looks fine.  The little guy is 4" high from antenae tip to bottom, with micro-stippling all around.

And now for a kid story:  Yesterday I picked up the kids after school and Nora was doing her homework in the car.  For math addition and subtraction, she tends to count on her fingers.  Aaron watched her, and when she got to some larger numbers he said, "Nora, do you want me to hold up my fingers so you'll have twenty fingers instead of ten?"  Is that not the sweetest offer from a little guy who sometimes likes to pick on his sister?

He tends to remember the math facts instead of counting, but yesterday she gave him a problem he didn't know and all was quiet in the back seat and I knew he was counting too.  Tonight Aaron is coming to spend the night while Nora and her mom go to a wedding shower.  He gets so happy when he can be a pretend only child for a few hours. 

No comments: