Friday, March 15, 2013

Circles


The last Saturday I was at work, my supervisor gave me the new Husqvarna Viking Circular Attachment to borrow and play with.  Not a chore for me, because I love tools.  Yesterday I realized that tomorrow is a work day for me and the tool was still in the box.


Of course I had to figure out some quilting applications.  I used it to sew circles for quilting but also for applique.  Very cool, just stitch a circle with the tool, put fabric on top of the circle, and stitch around the circle again.  Trim outside the circle, close to the stitching.  Then choose an applique stitch and stitch around one more time.


Then, because this is my year to learn free motion, I quilted the whole thing, really quilted it, and cut it to 16" x 16."  Maybe, just maybe, it will fit in with one of the CQAFA word challenges and I'll have something already made in the right size. 

Or, maybe, after its time at work, I will put it in the CQAFA Nature Center Show, where we are to display something authentic to our style.  I also need a few new pieces to display at church for three months, starting in July.  For sure, I'm going to put a hanging sleeve on the back when I bind it.

I really like this, and I especially like the Sulky varigated rayon that was in my stash.  (Not a blendable.)  I've learned to be careful and not use it for most embroidery applications because it ends up with stripes - yikes! - but for the little McTavishing free motion the color changes add lots of dimension.     

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

Amazing quilting. Wow!