Thursday, July 19, 2012

Mixer Repair

My Kitchenaid stand mixer is at the repair shop and there is a void on my countertop.  I don't have much counter space and in some ways the opening helps give a spacious look, but I miss seeing the mixer.

Taking my mixer to the shop gave me pause to think about what we throw out and what we repair.  That's on my mind anyway because I work at a sewing machine shop and we repair a lot of machines.  The Vikings and Whites and Berninas of a few years past aren't throw-aways.  People know their value and are willing to repair them - or, often, to just have them cleaned and serviced because they know they will just keep on sewing.  Same with vacuums - the good ones get repaired and they go on.

There was a reconditioned mixer sitting at the shop for little more than the cost of a repair.  The kind you see at the big box store, small bowl and motor.  I'm sure that someone came in for a repair and opted out because the repair price approached what they paid for the mixer.  For me, though, if I get another ten service-free years out of my mixer I will probably repair it again.  There was a reason I got the big motor in the first place.

I'm eyeing the book Cake Ladies that Sarah and Winnie gave me for Mother's Day and am thinking about which to make first when the mixer comes back home.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

When I cleaned out my dad's house he had two stand mixers, vintage 1950's. Still working. My own food processor was purchased in the early 1970's and is still making pasta dough like a champ even though I have always desired a better (yuppy) model. The Kitchen Aid stand mixer is doing it's work on pizza dough and whipped egg whites after nearly 25 years. I love it. Would have it repaired.

I wish I could say the same for toaster ovens and irons.