Monday, December 22, 2008

Corn Husk Nativity

Many years ago, my mother made this corn husk nativity scene to be used at First Mennonite Church in Bluffton, Ohio, during Advent.


I think she would be really pleased to know that this year Mary, Joseph, the baby, and the angels are at Cincinnati Mennonite Fellowship in Cincinnati.

There has been some damage over the years, and there are no shepherds, but the Wise Men will be putting in an appearance.

My mother was a very skilled folk artist, and I haven't seen any corn husk figures that rival hers. She used natural dyes for her figures and never added faces. In these days of Etsy, I'm sure she would have a good market for her figures, but twenty-five years ago was a different world in marketing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Connie, those are precious! How wonderful for you to have them.
Janice