Sunday, November 19, 2017

Cranberries


Cranberries.  Yesterday afternoon I made a cranberry salad for the church Thanksgiving dinner today.  It has lovely things - cranberries, celery, oranges, pineapple, walnuts.  Plus, jello. 

And, it didn't set up, ending up with a delicious thick cranberry soup.  This seems vaguely familiar, like maybe I used the same internet recipe another year with the same results.  So, off to the store for another box of jello, which usually doesn't live at my house.  Just one cup of water with the big box of jello, then mixed with the cranberry soup.  Perfect this time.  I reread the recipe about five times to be sure I hadn't done the math wrong when doubling the recipe, but it was right.  Oh, well, there is now cranberry salad.

The final result reminds me of my grandmother's cranberry salad, made for holidays, except that hers probably didn't have nuts.  It was probably the only "fancy" dish that she made all year.  If there were leftovers, she would save some for me since I loved it so much.

I'm not sure whether my grandmother's very basic cooking was a result of economics, or of post-depression memories, or of a religious commitment to plain living.  Or, maybe, she just didn't put that much emphasis on food. 

No comments: