Sunday, June 2, 2013

Gardening


One of the things I love about moving to a new house is watching in the spring to see what kinds of flowers the previous owners planted.  I think I've mentioned before that the only surprise in my current house was - peonies.  And some ground cover and some old-time out-of-control shrubs..  The peonies were their prettiest this spring, probably because I was diligent about weeding out honeysuckle and other unwanted things.
 

When Sarah and Winnie were here, we went shopping for some nice plants for my front yard garden.  I'm already wishing that I'd written down the names of all the plants, like the one above with the delicate white blooms. 

On Monday the whole family helped plant and mulch.  I can't believe that I let the grands load mulch with a shovel and pitch fork, but they were so pleased with their "work" and were closely supervised.  Now it's time to put in annuals and veggies, as well as to spread more mulch. 

I've been longing for a privacy fence to replace the old chain link in the back of the yard, but I'm realizing that I can accomplish the same thing with grasses and other pretties.  And I'm thinking that a shade garden would be a lovely thing to add.  I'm pretty darn excited about the possibilities.

No comments: