Thursday, April 28, 2011

Serger Table Topper

The end of the month is approaching, and I had a few things left on my list of goals, including a serger project. I decided to make this table topper, a variation of a Marie Duncan project. Maybe not quite in the spirit of my goal, since I didn't use any new techniques, but I really liked the project and the truth is that the serger still had the same thread as when it went in for service. Which means I've haven't used it.


It was supposed to be a rail fence pattern, but I changed it around to make it a little less predictable. The really nice thing about using a serger for quilting, besides the finished edges, is that the sashings come out nice and flat because of the differential feed. Set at "1" the top feeds through at the same rate as the bottom, like a dual feed foot on a sewing machine. Very nice.

Yesterday was more rain, and I haven't had the heart to check out today's weather. I did get my front yard mowed between showers, and for that I'm grateful. The grass was actually going to seed. The back yard is totally soaked, so no mowing there, but it isn't quite as bad yet. In the whole scheme of things, I was just happy that the mower started since I hadn't emptied out the gas last fall. I always think there will be one more mowing.


With my added beds, the front yard took no time at all, it's probably half the size it originally was.


No comments: