Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Voting Day

This is going to be the same message as my facebook post of last night, but our political polarization has been so much on my mind, so I'm going to say essentially the same thing again.

Today, let's make a first step to putting our political division behind us. When you vote, vote with your head and your heart, then say a prayer of blessing for the person behind you in line.

As I said, I've thought and thought about this and what I can do and this is what I've come up with.  That, and going to communion in my church once the polls have closed.  There are two local churches doing communion (that I know of,)  Episcopal Church of the Redeemer and Cincinnati Mennonite Fellowship.  You can read more about it here.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

I arrived at my polling place to find parking to be an issue--so many cars, so many people. Young and old. Families in line. Voting. I hadn't seen this since 2008.

The voting itself, we still mark ballots with a black pen-- was emotional. Everyone stood in line after to get their "I voted" sticker, also unusual. The kids at work had voted for the first time-- both parties are well informed at work and lunchtime discussion were civil and useful learning tools for the big school graduates. They had stickers on their chests.

I may not have said a prayer for those behind me in line--but I was very thankful that people were in line behind me. I was thankful to the crowds of people in the parking lot who had come out to vote. It's the only time me, the people, can say yes, I agree or No, I do not to those who run the country. Or want to.