Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cranberry Banana Bread

Tonight I drove to Oakley for a church meeting, only to find the office dark.  A quick check of my calendar told me that in fact the meeting was tomorrow night.  Sigh.  I'd done my homework, too.

Back home again, a little comfort sounded good and I decided to bake a loaf of banana bread before resuming my sewing.  I added chopped cranberries because (1) I only had two bananas, not the three called for, and (2) the cranberries had been in my freezer since last year and it's now this year.

I'm really happy how things worked out, very yummy.  This recipe isn't especially sweet, but it's ever so good.  I remember the days when I'd put chocolate chips in my sweeter banana bread, but no more.

Cranberry Banana Bread
1 cup bread flour or all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 ripe bananas, mashed  (3 if you aren't adding cranberries)
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
2 eggs
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup old-fashioned oats
half a package cranberries, chopped
1 cup walnuts

Combine dry ingredients, add the remaining ingredients, and mix with a spoon until everything is blended.  Put in a loaf pan and bake 45 - 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

(Thanks to Tiffany for the original recipe)


No comments: