Friday, December 4, 2020

I Will Light Candles


Church services have looked different for many months now and most likely will continue to look different for months to come.  During Advent, my part in the Zoom service is to light Advent candles and read a poem, starting with half of it the first week and adding a line each week to come.  I'll share that poem here.

I Will Light Candles This Christmas

By Howard Thurman
 
I will light candles this Christmas,
Candles of joy despite all the sadness,
Candles of hope where despair keeps watch,
Candles of courage for fears ever present,
Candles of peace for tempest-tossed days,
Candles of grace to ease heavy burdens,
Candles of love to inspire all my living,
Candles that will burn all year long.


Last Sunday, the first week, I was nervous about my part because I have a new laptop with an external webcam and a touchscreen.  Until now, I had been joining Zoom on my phone.  With some help from Winnie with the set-up, it went fine and I feel good about doing it on my own this Sunday.


Last New Year's Eve, when I was making goals for the year, I chose learning new technology as one of my goals.  I had no idea that evening how that would actually come to pass.  None of us had an idea of what we would be learning, how we would been adjusting.

No comments: